- Signals from Heaven — Toru Takemitsu
- Hikari (Light) — Sômei Satoh
- Echo Canyon — Karen Tanaka, Midwest Premiere
- Sadako, Prayers for Peace — Kevin James
- Indiana University Jacobs School of Music Contemporary Vocal Ensemble
- Prof. Carmen Helena Téllez, Dir.
- Vasiliki Tsousva, Asst. Dir.
Encore Performance after the sold-out premiere during Sonic Impact
Commissioned by the Chicago Children’s Humanities Festival and the Virginia S. Gassel Family
“Based on the book by Eleanor Coerr and using the charming chalk illustrations by Ed Young (flashed on a screen behind the ensemble) the 45 minute cantata melds images, narration, and music by Kevin James to recount the poignant real-life story of Sadako Sasaki, a spirited young Japanese girl. Music, song, image, and spoken word form a seamless and deeply moving meditation. Unutterable sadness at last gives way to the hope that the warring nations will learn to make a better, safer world for their own Sadakos…With the threat of mass nuclear suicide again bullying its way to the center of the world stage, ‘Sadako: Prayers for Peace’ could not be more timely.”
— John von Rhein, Chicago Tribune, 10/30/06
Location: Harris Theater for Music and Dance