“The concert was a kind of meditative bearing witness – I loved it and you were a jewel in the despair and compassion of the emotions! The first songs about the poems in the camp – were so surreal in a sense – putting such grim poetry to beautiful music….a very different kind of bearing witness where my feelings ranged from horror to amazement at the courage to write and to sing this…and the songs of love were heartbreaking – thank you so much for allowing me and my friend to experience it!”
Fulcrum Point marks this 10th Concert for Peace by presenting four Midwest premieres exploring relationships and the nature of love and war through music and poetry from the perspectives of soldiers, spouses and prisoners. The program includes Midwest premieres of “Songs of Love and War” by Paul Moravec, “Three Letters from the Unknown Soldier” by Poul Ruders, “Camp Songs” by Paul Schoenfield and “Peace” by David Schiff.
The audience is invited to stay for a post-concert reception and discussion with the composers and performers. There will be complimentary wine from VinDiVino and refreshments.
- Peace — David Schiff (World Premiere)
- Camp Songs — Paul Schoenfield (Midwest Premiere)
- Three Letters from The Unknown Soldier — Poul Ruders
- Songs of Love and War — Paul Moravec (Midwest Premier)
- Stephen Burns, trumpeter/Artistic Director
- Julia Bentley, mezzo soprano
- Kuang Hao Huang, pianist
- Jeffrey Strauss, baritone
- Mary Stolper, flutist
- New Classic Singers, Lee Kesselman, conductor
Location: Harris Theater for Music and Dance